Friday, August 8, 2014

Technology is great, but let's not forget the human factor

In our HR Systems and Technology class we have learned about a lot of cool amazing systems for every aspect of HR. I'm so excited that these technologies exist, and I hope that I get a chance to use them all in the future to make wherever I work a better place =)

But a thought has occurred to me from reading my classmate's posts. We can't let technology replace human interaction, and the human touch.

As many problems as technology solves, we can't view these solutions as a set-it-and-forget-it type of deal. Rather, they should be implemented with the idea that they'll free up HR time for MORE human interaction and strategic initiatives.

For example, at a recent company happy hour, I happened to be sitting with a coworker that I don't get to talk to very often. I put her on a lot of interviews for engineering candidates and she shared with me some of her feelings and ideas about our interviewing process. I brought these up to my manager, and we met with this engineer and discussed them more in depth and I was blown away. The ideas were AMAZINGLY WONDERFUL!

Even with the world's best ATS (which we don't have, but even if we did), or the most perfect HRIS and performance management systems, we wouldn't have learned an interviewer and employees feelings on our recruiting processes unless we talked to them.

And while HR system companies often put out content blogs about best practices or try to make suggestions to customers about how to best utilize their product, how many of us will really take it to heart?

Whereas if you have a person standing in front of you, explaining something to you very passionately with first hand experience, which one will give you the best insight and strong motivation to make necessary changes to existing systems and processes?

Let's make sure that the great technology available to us doesn't make us lazy, but instead helps us to improve!

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more that one of the main purposes of an HRIS should be to free up HR time more more human interaction. And also that happy hours are extremely valuable, I work remotely now and happy hour is one the things I miss most from when I was working at the headquarters. No social media, no online tool can replace them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post is a great reminder that making a personal connection is a critical component of human resources management. With the trends in the work place moving towards increased use of technology, remote working, email, and across time zones, I agree that making an effort to get to know people and talking to them directly should not be over looked.

    ReplyDelete